RSS

An Open Letter to Mitt Romney

21 Sep

Dear Mitt Romney:

I saw your video.

I saw you speaking candidly and off the cuff about me. Don’t get me wrong, I know that you didn’t mention me by name or anything, but we both know you were talking about me.

When you were talking about 47% of the population that is never going to vote for you because we are “dependent victims” who lazily live on government programs like food stamps, I can’t help but take personal offense. In fact, once you decided to lump in anybody who is never going to vote for you, you weren’t just talking about me, but many people I love, and about 90% of the people I know…

Embedded Link

An Open Letter To Candidate Romney (OP-ED)An Open Letter To Candidate Romney (OP-ED)
One of '47%' Mitt Romney doesn't care about speaks out.

Google+: View post on Google+

Tags:

1. Ken Foreman

September 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

My wife and I were on the fence this election.

We are witnessing a nation in decline. My wife was born in Manila, Philippines. I was born in Suffern, New York. For her, Tagalog (Filipino) was her first language.  For me, English was my first language in a house where Magyar (Hungarian) was common.

My wife emigrated to the US in the mid 1980s.  I took 4 years of Latin and was a student of Ancient (300BCE-300CE) and Modern History (1700-1990CE) .  She was able to witness what it is like to become a US citizen.  I was able to put it in context with Roman, Greek, and US history.

Where we are as a nation is not what George Washington conceived.
    Where we are as a nation is not what Abraham Lincoln fought for.
    Where we are as a nation is not what Esther Balogh passed through Ellis Island for.
    Where we are as a nation is not what Antonio Villa Verdan left Manila for.

As a nation, our fate is decided by "We the People" and those we elect to represent us.  We are far greater (and far worse) than any one idealist, demagogue, capitalist, or terrorist.

Thank you for making my decision easier this November… You put your humanity on display, showing us the extent of your ability to lead us.

2. Robert Nix

September 21, 2012 at 8:06 am

Personally, as an independent and someone who is deep into following politics, this is completely in line with my expectations from Romney and is why i've been amazed that people were still on the fence about him. While i believe his faith allows him to come across as a decent man, i can't understand how he can reconcile the lying and contempt he presents so often during his campaigns (this and prior).

Romney was far down the list of best candidates running for the Republican nomination. He's towing the party line which openly espouses bigotry. He blatantly lies to peoples' faces saying whatever he thinks they want to hear, which is why he's so criticized for always being on multiple sides of ever issues. And a government can't be run like a business. His vile business tactics will not work in government. Romney only knows how to fire people and move businesses over seas.

While Obama is getting the blame for this economy, i am certain no Republican agenda would have faired any better. It's mostly because of eight years of Republican's fiscal incompetence that we couldn't handle the financial collapse. Austerity, that Republicans want to implement, is a proven failure. Republican agendas have worsened the inequality which has a direct impact of the state of the economy.

As i've written elsewhere, the deficit, while a concern, is a necessity at the moment. The most important thing is to get people to work. Sometimes you have to spend more than you have to increase the future value and income. Like buying stocks on margin when you can make more money than the cost of the interest. Like taking out a home equity loan to fix your house so that the value will increase for more than the interest of the loan. Our deficit spending is an investment in society to keep people working and get people back to work. That is government's investment in the future of its income, taxes. WIth low unemployment, the deficit can be handled. For Republicans to vote against bills because they claim it'll increase the deficit is a vile tactic aimed at hurting the economy, and they know it.

In all areas of governing, Obama is, by far, the best choice. He's a better person, politician, intellect, doer, decider, … and has been and will be the best President for this country versus any recent Republicans who have tried to run for this office (except maybe Jon Huntsman or Gary Johnson). Democrats have been the best politicians fiscally throughout all recent evidence. Until Republicans can stop being the voice of Religious Right, they will continue making poor fiscal decisions, favoring dictating their beliefs across society and the world instead of managing an economy based on good, sound economics.

Thank you. I hope you do seriously vote for Obama. While i don't think a President can be catastrophic to an economy, Bush showed me that they can do some serious damage. And recently, Republicans are even more extreme than Bush. I can only imagine they'd plan a war with Iran or some other such nonsense.

3. Ken Foreman

September 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

I thoroughly enjoy Dan Simmon's ability to write intelligently and propose excellent alternate timelines.  Song of Kali, Phases of Gravity, The Hyperion Cantos, The Terror and Flashback are all excellent analysis of the society, cultures, and the human condition.

While Stephen King's Under the Dome is a liberal take on the collapse of society, Dan Simmon's Flashback is a conservative slant on taking social welfare and foreign policies catering to fanatics to it's logical conclusion.  Flashback is an infuriating book (more so than Under the Dome was), but it's logically sound and consistent:

Dan Simmons nailed my fears for what the US may become in another 20-50 years.  We cannot "spend our way to an economic recovery", we cannot support social welfare at the cost of going deeper into debt, and we cannot kowtow to religious fanatics overseas who find it acceptable to kill our ambassadors for offending their religious zealotry.

4. Robert Nix

September 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I don't read much fiction. I should. I wish i could find some great, science fiction/fantasy humor. I tend to gravitate to law/politics, philosophy, and, of course, software/technology.

I'm not afraid of what the US will become. All civilizations are what the society allows. Fear is rarely a good motivator because it's often accompanied by irrationality. Fear is mostly just useful for manipulation. Based on the description on Flashback, i'm already infuriated that it even exists. I really don't like fear mongering which the description of the books makes it seems like, regardless of whether the logic appears sound. To make such leaps implies there will certainly be numerous logical fallacies

The debt we've recently accrued was and is to retain jobs and hopefully spur the economy (which it did, just not enough for long enough). The debt was not to maintain welfare. The welfare was in place before the crisis and regardless of whether it needs reform or not, shouldn't be a factor in the recovery unless all spending, e.g. DoD, is available for the chopping block. But like we've seen throughout the globe, cutting government spending during an economic downturn only worsens matters.

Spending and/or time (income) is the only way out for an economy in crisis. I liken it to already being in debt and then having your car break down. You have to repair the car (increase employment) by going deeper into debt because your job/income (the economy) depends on it. If you decide to just let time try to solve the issue, millions of people go hungry, skills degrade and they become less marketable, … and it's simply painful for far longer than needed. Ask Japan about the 90s!

This situation isn't simply like being in debt so you can just decide to give up eating at fancy restaurants. Austerity means, every program we cut adds people to unemployment or removes income which removes consumers from our consumer-driven economy which exacerbates the income issue for an already strapped government.

In the end, Obama has done nothing to worsen an already horrible situation he inherited. The worst he's done is pass some laws that were once backed, even mostly written by Republicans. The mess we're in is because of Republicans. Two wars, one of which they flat lied about to start, the other might have been avoided if they didn't scapegoat the CIA intelligence as insufficient. WIthout the wars, we would have been fine through a crisis caused by deregulation that, yes, Clinton signed, but was heavily lobbied for by Wall St. who most frequently back Republicans because Republicans like to think a free market works. Republicans have been so fiscally irresponsible, it disgusts me to hear them claim to know how to solve our economic problems.

Anyway, i have to stop getting to discussions of this sort. I keep trying to stop :) As you can see, i go on and on. Fear not, good people will ultimately lead and guide society in the right directions. The path just might be a little painful.

5. Ken Foreman

September 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Was George Orwell, Ayn Rand, or Aldous Huxley fear-mongering?  Cautionary tales of dystopias has its place in literature and social discussions.

6. Robert Nix

September 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

It certainly has its place. I don't mean to imply censoring any literature. But, yes, if it is clearly partisan, it's also probably fear mongering. Which doesn't mean it's not also great literature. Just that fear has diven some of our most   horrific episodes throughout history and it's used to manipulate people sometimes to do horrific things, mostly just to think a certain way.
    I think, whenever you find someone that scares you, the first thing you should ask yourself is what do they have to gain from scaring people. They're almost certainly being intentionally manipulative. Just my opinion.